Pages

Monday, August 26, 2013

Some words are just untranslatable

Saw a link posted by a friend and thought it was kinda interesting to read it.

It's about untranslatable words from other cultures. In this link, they explained the meaning and in which (suitable) situation to use them (correctly).

I read all 11 and I thought this few below are kinda use-able.


Inuit: IktsuarpokThe feeling of anticipation that leads you to go outside and check if anyone is coming, and probably also indicates an element of impatience.
I do this when I expect a guest or when I am waiting for my ride. This is really useful! Can I mix it with German? "Ich fühle mich Iktsuarpok"
Russian: PochemuchkaSomeone who asks a lot of questions. In fact, probably too many questions. We all know a few of these. 
This is my favourite , going to try to remember it for sure and use it on ......... (fill in the blanks :P)  
"You Pochemuchka you"--- it sounds vulgar though 
"Why you so Pochmuchka one"







Indonesian: JayusTheir slang for someone who tells a joke so badly, that is so unfunny you cannot help but laugh out loud. 
I wander if there's a Malay word for this. I only know the word Jakun but it has a totally different meaning. 

 Hawaiian: Pana PoʻoYou know when you forget where you've put the keys, and you scratch your head because it somehow seems to help your remember? This is the word for it. 
Kinda my habit every time I am looking for something. 
Oh here is the link by the way if you're interested too. http://blog.maptia.com/posts/untranslatable-words-from-other-cultures



No comments:

Post a Comment