Pages

Sunday, December 21, 2008

'tong yuen' .... finally =))

It's good to be home this time around

It's good to be able to celebrate Winter Solstice I actually forgot wat it is called in English til I refer somwhere aka Tong Yuen again.Don't ask me for the history of celebrating it k. Cos I sux in history. Mum doesnt know also. Haha. Well at least I'm not alone. Hohoho.

What we usually do at home is cook food for prayers. Mum did most of the cooking cos I didnt want to screw up or make cooking process go any slower. Cos I was still in bed. It's a Sunday ler!!I woke just in time to help mum prepare for prayers though. It was 9am already and mum woke up earlier to cook. Food was almost done. The only thing left is the Tong Yuen. Hehe...  

Tong Yuen preparation. Weeeee ~ 

Jakun in action. Hoho

1st ting that u should do is to prepare the 'tong sui'. Translation is... sweet water aka ai manisan... anyway, mum usually puts in pandan leaves for the extra flavor and aroma. 

This morning, I woke up smelling it already. Mmmmm.... I have something to confess actually. The aroma of the 'tong shui' is the reason I got up from bed. Hehehe... WHAT? 

Next, u roll the colored flour into 'tong yuen' aka colored balls. Rolling process is very very important u know. Your palms can't be wet or the flour will melt in your palms & it'll be sticky. You can't take too much of the flour cos the 'tong yuen' you roll will be too big and it might not be cooked and the flavor of the tong shui wont absorb.  

And there is a strategy way to make your 'tong yuen' round. WHAT?!! What's with the look? U think it's easy making a round looking 'tong yuen' meh? My 1st few attempts was all oval 'tong yuen's le. Or maybe I'm just not talented at all and I'm in denial. Sigh.

patting flour into shape. That's why it's BIG

ANYWAY, use both palms to make the flour into the shape 1st. Which is oval.

jeng jeng jeng 

The secret of round 'tong yuen'. Read crefully aite. Top secret. Only u know about this le. 

Nya nya nya ~!! 

Cut the crap right? Ok ok. So now, the positions. Your palm at the bottom. Any hand will do. Right left, as u like la. The 'tong yuen' in de middle. The other hand, using your fingers (make sure they are sticking with each other) on the top. A-N-D u roll, roll roll roll. Til u go weeee ~ 


Then you can throw the balls into the 'tong shui' pot. How long till they're ready? Errrr... I duno. Up to u lo.Cos I was too busy watching Monster Inc, CSI and PPG. When they're ready, serve them in a bowl lor. For extra flavor, u could add nuts while eating your 'tong yuen'. 

U must be wandering why am I overly excited about 'tong yuen' blablabla. Well, when u are not at home twice (2 years liao) for this, you will react like me. Retarded.  

Usually the Uni starts around this time, USM only in this case. 1 week before Christmas. So stupid. I don't know the reason behind this. I don't find it smart. So many holidays. Christmas la. Christmas Eve. New Year eve. New Year. What la! Who will go for classes? Lecturers also in holiday mood la. Sweat. Potong stim sungguh. Although I don't celebrate these holidays with big hoo-haa plans, but come on, give us a break la.   

I love 'tong yuen' !! 


No comments:

Post a Comment